On July 15th, Resolute announced its membership in the Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition (CPLC) at an event hosted by Canada’s Minister of Environment and Climate Change, the Honourable Catherine McKenna, and the Governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney.
We are pleased to join the CPLC, a voluntary global partnership that brings together leaders across national and sub-national governments, the private sector, and civil society to help address climate change through putting a price on carbon.
The CPLC is also a key aspect of Canada’s contribution to meeting the international carbon pricing commitment launched at the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP21) in Paris.
Resolute operates in an energy-intensive industry, and we have long recognized the importance of reducing our carbon footprint and transparently reporting on our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. We are pleased to be one of the first Canadian companies to become a member of the CPLC.
Resolute’s recent achievements include:
- Achieving an impressive and industry-leading 71% reduction in our absolute GHG emissions from our pulp and paper operations over a year-2000 baseline; a reduction equivalent to removing 1.78 million cars from the road
- Recently completing our first full-year of 100% on-site coal free operations
- Over 50% of the reduction in our carbon footprint came from reductions in energy consumption, fuel mix improvements and fuel switching, including efforts to switch from coal and heavy oil (bunker C) powered boilers to lower carbon fuels such as natural gas and carbon neutral biomass
- Successfully reporting all relevant scope 3 emissions categories to the Carbon Disclosure Project, earning a disclosure score of 95/100
- Supporting the Forest Products Association of Canada’s 30 by 30 Climate Change Challenge, which commits the Canadian forest products industry to removing 30 megatonnes of CO2 per year by 2030 – more than 13% of the Canadian government’s total emissions reduction target
To illustrate our carbon reductions, please view the attached infographic.
As a CPLC member, Resolute will gain a new forum to highlight carbon reduction accomplishments and will have opportunities to help Canada develop a successful carbon pricing program by sharing lessons learned and engaging with government policymakers that will design the system, along with participants from other companies and industries.
For more information, follow this link.