At Resolute, we are proud to support the needs and interests of the many communities where we live and work. Our philanthropic contributions take many forms, including financial and material support, and countless volunteer hours by our dedicated employees. Over the course of 2022, Resolute contributed close to $1.3 million in donations and sponsorships to worthy organizations, including $261,000 toward scholarships, bursaries and research grants.
Read on for some highlights of our community giving!
Sharing our Success in Workplace Safety
Through our Board of Directors Safety Award Program, Resolute employees distributed $217,120 to charitable and community organizations in 2022. For example:
- Our Mauricie (Quebec) woodlands donated C$2,500 each to Le Toit de L’Amitié (a shelter for women and children living with domestic violence) and Les Jardins communautaires Corbeille d’art (a group promoting community gardening).
- Our Hydro-Saguenay (Quebec) hydroelectric generation and transmission network contributed C$3,000 to three organizations supporting local families in difficult situations: Groupe d’Action Communautaire Falardeau, BC AGIT and Soupière de Jonquière.
- Our Alma (Quebec) paper mill distributed C$15,000 among Sac-à-DONS (a provider of school supplies to children in need), La Moisson d’Alma (a food bank) and École Notre-Dame-de-Lorette (a local elementary school).
Creating Positive Impacts
Last year, Resolute donated $250,000 to community organizations, at both the local and corporate level. Here are some examples:
- Our Atikokan (Ontario) sawmill donated C$5,000 to the Atikokan Fix-It Club, an organization that provides space for meetings and wood-building workshops, and C$5,000 to the Atikokan Food Bank.
- Our Glenwood (Arkansas) sawmill provided $10,000 in funding for the Pike County Fair and Rodeo, a popular community event.
- A team from several Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean (Quebec) operations participated in the Leucan Ultramarathon, raising C$40,796 to support children living with cancer and their families.
- Through our annual workplace campaign, employees at Montreal head office raised C$87,326 for Centraide of Greater Montreal, an organization that fights poverty and social exclusion.
Supporting Indigenous Communities
We are proud of cultivating relationships with nearly 40 Indigenous communities and organizations in Ontario and Quebec. Here are some ways we supported First Nations and other Indigenous communities and organizations in 2022:
- Our Saint-Félicien (Quebec) pulp mill donated C$3,000 to the Société de développement économique ilnu de Mashteuiatsh, which supports female Indigenous entrepreneurs.
- Our Côte-Nord (Quebec) woodlands contributed to the organization of InnuRassemble 2022, a cultural event uniting local Innu and non-Indigenous youth.
- Employees from our Thunder Bay (Ontario) sawmill participated in Fort William First Nation’s sunrise ceremony and annual pow-wow.
Making an Impact With In-Kind Donations
In-kind donations are a tangible and immediate source of support. Here are a few examples from 2022:
- The Calhoun (Tennessee) and Sanford (Florida) tissue mills donated thousands of cases of bath tissue and paper towels to organizations such as Operation Compassion, which delivers critical aid to people affected by natural disasters.
- Our Outardes (Quebec) sawmill provided 60 pairs of crampons to employees of Quebec’s Integrated Health and Social Services Centres. The facility also donated 1,500 pieces of lumber for the construction of the Boreal Forest Research and Innovation Pavilion at Cégep de Baie-Comeau.
- The team at our Gatineau (Quebec) newsprint mill donated medical supplies to Collaboration Santé Internationale, a non-profit organization focused on improving health care in developing countries.
To learn more about how Resolute supports the communities where we live and work, check out The Resolute Blog, as well as the Community Involvement section of our website.