Public commitments drive our sustainability performance. Our sustainability strategy combines ambitious long-term objectives, annually revised targets and aspirational goals, carefully measured in the spirit of continuous improvement. In this blog series, 2021 Performance and New Targets, we’re recapping our 2021 achievements, sharing highlights of our progress, and affirming our targets for 2022 and beyond.
How we responsibly manage our environmental footprint
Resolute’s environmental policy is the foundation of our approach to managing the environment, setting out guidelines to meet and exceed legal and regulatory requirements. Environmental performance is managed at the local level by our environment coordinators and mill managers, with oversight by the company’s senior management. By implementing and maintaining rigorous third-party-certified environmental management systems, while closely monitoring environmental incidents, our goal is to minimize the environmental impacts of Resolute’s operating activities.
How did we do in 2021?
- Environmental incidents:
- We recorded 12 class 1 and 2 environmental incidents, beating our target of 15 or fewer incidents for 2021, and improving our year-over-year performance.
- Continuous improvement moves us toward our long-term aspirational goal of zero incidents, and for 2022, we have set the bar at no more than 12 incidents.
- We trained over 165 directors, managers and superintendents to reinforce the company’s commitment to environmental incident management and regulatory compliance.
- In 2022, in addition to environmental management training, we are providing environmental, social and governance (ESG) training to board, executive team and sustainability committee members, as well as select managers.
- Environmental management certification:
- We met our objective of maintaining ISO 14001 environmental management system (EMS) standards at 100% of our certified operations.
- We completed the certification process at our Menominee (Michigan) pulp mill as well as both of our Florida tissue mills – Hialeah and Sanford.
- We began the process of implementing ISO 14001 certification at our three U.S. sawmills, which we expect to complete in 2022. We plan to complete certification at our Hagerstown (Maryland) tissue converting facility in 2023.
Learn more about Resolute’s sustainability commitments and progress on our website.