Resolute is committing to reduce absolute greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (scope 1 and 2) by 30% against 2015 levels by 2025. This new target builds on our 83% reduction in absolute GHG emissions from year-2000 levels, two-thirds of which reflect reductions in emission intensity. By achieving this new target, we will have reduced our emissions by nearly 700,000 metric tons of CO2 equivalents per year compared to our 2015 level.
“Resolute was an early adopter of climate action as a cornerstone of our sustainability strategy,” said Remi G. Lalonde, president and chief executive officer. “Setting this new target is among my first actions as president and CEO, demonstrating our continued focus around this important issue. Our commitment to renewable energy is good for the environment and it’s good for the bottom line. Three-quarters of our total energy needs come from renewable sources such as hydroelectricity and carbon-neutral biomass, and more than 80% of our fuel energy comes from biomass. We’ve been scope 1 coal-free since 2014.”
Some of the more recent projects on which the company is relying to achieve its commitment include:
- an efficiency enhancement at our Saint-Félicien (Quebec) pulp mill to improve production capacity and reduce fossil-fuel use by up to 20%;
- a modernization of the cogeneration turbine at our Coosa Pines (Alabama) pulp mill to reduce purchased electricity use by 6%; and
- the installation of a sophisticated heat recovery unit at our Thunder Bay (Ontario) pulp and paper mill to recover waste heat and, as a result, decrease the use of fossil fuels by over 20%.
We have also made the following commitments to:
- include the previously excluded wood products facilities’ GHG emissions in our GHG inventory by 2022;
- continue to report climate change data and management practices to CDP’s climate change program, including scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions; and
- further integrate sustainability practices in our supply chain by working with suppliers and related stakeholders to develop scope 3 GHG emission reduction commitments.
Resolute’s sustainability strategy is based on a balanced approach to environmental, social and economic performance, designed to enhance the company’s competitive position. As an industry leader, we are committed to maintaining effective sustainability oversight, governance and management practices, and have moved beyond already rigorous regulatory compliance and environmental incident management to commit to transparency and annual sustainability reporting.
To learn more about Resolute’s climate initiatives, visit www.resolutefp.com/Sustainability.