Want to learn more about Resolute? Allow our fresh-off-the-press 2013 Annual Report to be your guide. In addition to our financials, be sure to check out some of these highlights:
In 2013, Resolute completed the ramp-up of four power generation assets, including the $65 million cogeneration facility in Thunder Bay. This strategic investment will reduce operating costs, as well as optimize our woodlands, sawmill and pulp and paper operations by fully utilizing site-generated and forest-based biomass to produce green electricity. (pp 11)
We make the lumber that frames houses and the pulp found in tissues, coffeemaker liners and diapers. We make the newsprint that shares news from every corner of the globe and the specialty papers on which books, magazines, and catalogs are printed. Our pulp and paper is also in: the cup that holds your 8:30 a.m. coffee, the 12:30 p.m. napkin in your lunchbox, the 3:00 p.m. presentation on your desk, and the 5:30 p.m. air filter in your car. (pp 19)
Our sustainability strategy is aligned with our business strategy and aims at leveraging our environmental, social and economic performance to maintain and enhance our competitive position (pp 33)
We have instituted fiber-tracking systems at all of our facilities, which are all third-party certified according to one or more of three internationally recognized chain of custody standards, namely FSC, SFI and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC). (pp 44)
Every year, approximately 0.2% of the boreal forest in Canada is impacted by industry forest in Canada is impacted by industrial activities. In comparison, about five times that area is naturally disturbed every year by insects, forest fires or disease. (pp 45)
Some key highlights of our 2013 work in the area of environmental sustainability include:
- Reduction of total GHG emissions by approximately 64.6% since 2000.
- Sourcing 71% of our total energy needs from renewable sources.
- Deriving 75% of our fuel energy usage from biomass. (pp 48)
In 2013, we achieved an OSHA incident rate of 1.02, slightly higher than our established target of 1.0 but also our best annual safety performance on record. (pp 60)
You can also check out:
- Detailed map showing our operations across the world (pp 16)
- Updates on our business segments, including Newsprint, Specialty Papers, Market Pulp and Wood Products (pp 31)
- Information on our progress in the areas of sustainable forestry, carbon and resource management, mill environmental performance, product stewardship and heath and safety (pp 34)
- How we contribute to the communities we live and work in (pp 61)
- Q&As with Resolute employees (pp 20, 57, 65).
Have questions? Feel free to ask us in the comments below.